Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Worth a Thousand Words

What is it about school portraits that make them so horrible? It’s uncanny, really. The photographers take these photos for a living. It is what they do every day. Why are they so bad at it? I have no doubt the lighting in the cafeteria sucks, but surely Photoshop is available to these alleged professionals. And it’s not like they don’t get any practice. They do this photo stuff twice a year at every school in the country, and there’s got to be at least 100,000 of those, right?  

I hold, in my hand, the proofs of both my daughters’ school portraits. I would post them along with this blog, but I have been forbidden not only from purchasing them but also from snapping a picture of them with my iPhone. My children prefer to pretend that these photos never existed, dreading the possibility that these unflattering images might resurface in a few years, as most embarrassing things on the internet tend to do. And I even considered buying this year’s portraits because they aren’t half bad. My daughters almost look human. Well, one of them does. The other one looks like an unfortunate hunchbacked troll with its teeth clenched in a grimace, but still pretty.
Part of why  the photos suck has to be the mass produced quality of the portraiture. If you had half a day to snap almost two thousand portraits, you better believe you would have some eyelids barely open and a snarled lip here or there. No one can make an entire school body look good, especially when virtually none of them want to have their picture taken. It’s not like a piece of their soul will be taken from them, but still, students, normally obsessed with selfies and Instagram and all things photogenically narcissistic, treat every school portrait like they are standing for a mug shot.
This year’s batch of pictures features a lovely natural backdrop, complete with an artificial tree trunk. If you look closely, you can see that the tree trunk is actually part of the back drop and not a free standing photo prop against which to lean. The photographer had to direct two thousand surly teens to pretend like they were standing against a tree, pantomime style. No wonder there is an undercurrent of “are you fucking kidding me?” evident in both my daughter’s eyes. What would have made it even better is if all the kids posed in plaid flannel shirts holding axes. Hell, if they did that, I guarantee parents would be lining to buy those photos. I know I would.
When my daughters were little and students at the local Montessori, they had fabulous portraits taken at school. The photographer would set up a bench near some blooming azalea bushes in front of the school, arrange a few potted plants around the bench, and then seat the children in a modest fashion. Combs were handed out for smoothing unruly hair, and angelic faces would beam beatifically at the camera. All the parents bought those portraits, not because they were guilted into it, but because those portraits were fabulous.
Can you imagine if you gave combs to all the students in middle school? They would be used for weapons, or possibly some sort of MacGyvered drug paraphernalia. Not to mention at least half the kids couldn’t use a comb if they tried, thank you Axe hair paste. Even if the hair was smoothed, it wouldn’t distract from the nasty facial expressions and tight lipped fake smiles hiding braces. And don’t forget the soulless eyes. Seriously, post-mortem photography is livelier than a school portrait.
Parents look forward to school photo day when their kids were younger. I know I put great thought  into the dresses the girls would wear, deciding on flattering hairstyles, how if they pulled their skirts down just so, the bruises on their knees might not show. For middle school, photo day isn’t even an afterthought. My daughters didn’t mention it, hoping to avoid it entirely. One child even wore a hand me down of her sister’s from the fifth grade, a shirt that has at least three years of wear and tear on it. Can you imagine if you showed up at Target on a Wednesday morning and someone announced to you it was photo day?
I thought about my own school photos from many moons ago, which also began as an every year purchase before petering out.  I bet my mother stopped buying them around seventh grade, and I know I fought for that one because I thought I looked good, rocking that Lacoste shirt and some wicked center parted bangs. Once you hit the early teens, you don’t really look that much different from year to year, except perhaps for the braces covering yellowing teeth and more than one acne breakout and the rebellious makeup and hairstyles.
I bet most people buy pictures of their kids from kindergarten to fifth grade and then senior year. Face it; from about ten to maybe sixteen, awkward is the dominating trend. Most of us would be better off forgetting some of those choices we made. As far as I know, no photographic evidence exists of my purple hair, circa 1985, much to my children's disappointment.
On second thought, excuse me while I go write a couple of checks to School Portraits, Incorporated. My kids might not want me to buy these shitty photos, but I know my future grandchildren will thank me.
 

No comments: