Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Peekaboo, I See You

People: listen up. You might be alone in your car, but we can still see you through your windows. Sure, we’ve all had some moments behind the wheel that we hope and pray no one witnessed. Perhaps you’ve seen me digging crumbs out of my bra, the under boob part where the crumbs tend to settle. Trust me; it’s not for the weak of heart. I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to see that, but crumbs get itchy.

Nowhere is this false sense of privacy more apparent than in the car pool line at a school. Short of the occasional nose picking or nail clipping, I tend to spend my time doing publicly condoned car line activities like reading, talking or playing with my phone, and even writing, long hand of course, because trying to balance a laptop on a steering wheel borders on the weird. I’ve never felt that I was totally alone, however, because I am in lines with dozens of other people killing time in similar ways. Except for some people who seem oblivious that they are not really alone.
I am pretty sure I have seen everything short of sexual acts while waiting for my children to be dismissed from their school days. As much as I don’t want to think about it, I have to admit, I have spent the better part of over thirty minutes every school day for over eleven years sitting in a line of other cars, waiting on children. So it stands to reason that during that block of time, people are going to find creative ways to fill it. I have to tell you, sometimes it’s hard to concentrate on my own time wasting because I am so curious or distracted by the time wasting that surrounds me.
Elementary school car lines are pretty normal compared to the middle school line. In elementary school, the moms and occasional dads usually sleep or talk loudly on the phone. They might have younger children napping in their car seats, waiting for big brother or sister to play with them after a busy day of learning.  I don’t think I saw anything weirder than someone walking their dog on the school grounds while waiting in the car line, and just as a reminder, if you decide to do the same, it’s kind of courteous to pick up after your dog. Especially at a school. What if your kid is the one who steps in the offending pile of crap? I bet you wouldn’t like it much, would you, if your Dodge Durango was defiled by some dog doo. Plus on a hot afternoon, that crap gets a little ripe.
Middle school takes the car pool line to a whole other level. First of all, the care and concern for the children’s safety is just totally out the window after fifth grade. In elementary school, you have to have a numbered tag to identify you as the authorized person to whom your child should be released. In middle school, you could pretty much have your pick of victims. No one gives a shit who gets in what car. If you were in the kidnapping business, the middle school car line might be the place for you.
All that not paying attention to children’s safety lends a certain air of not giving a shit to the whole line, which is apparent when you spend some time observing the cars around you. There are the parents who expect their kids to walk to their car and therefore refuse to follow the car line protocol. They don’t pull forward to the car in front of them; they just stop where they want to, and fuck the rest of you. These are the same parents who like to make a seven point turn to get back out of the line after collecting their kids. Again, fuck you while you wait for them to execute what is a pretty tricky maneuver in a Lincoln Navigator. Never mind the flow of cars and the one way road loop designed for smooth dismissal. It's every jackass for himself.
Once on a sunny day, I got a contact high from the high school student smoking weed in the car in front of me. Clearly he knew how he wanted to kill time waiting on his younger brother, and his weed fog wafted out of his sun roof on a cloud of Van Halen before drifting through my open windows. I didn't mind the wait so much that afternoon.
The other day, I had to drop off some medicine at the school, so I parked my car in line and got out to walk into the school. I passed by one car with its windows down, and inside was a barefoot woman rubbing the space between her big toe and pointer toe along her steering wheel. What the actual fuck? Was that some sort of trigger point massage technique I’ve not heard about? She was pretty into it, although I didn’t hear any moaning, thank you Jesus. She's going to rub her hands all over that after she's done, and then she will be in front of you at the grocery store, paying in cash before you get money back from your debit card. You might as well have rubbed her feet for her.
Last week, I was treated to a real show in the white Fiat in front of me. The driver was an elderly woman with that unnatural shade of red hair preferred by women who think it makes them look younger than white or gray even though it really looks like they’ve soaked their shorn locks in a cheap box of Franzia. Anyway, red headed grandma had a full back seat, three kids across, in her Fiat. Honestly, the car is the same size AS a box of Franzia.
She had her windows open and was making the loudest phone call ever, which was enhanced by the fact that she was on speaker phone. Not only did I get to hear her confusion, but I was also party to the frustration of the woman at the doctor’s office with whom she spoke. The topic was none other than her prolapsed bladder, and she had a lot of information to share with a front office clerk who would have preferred to just schedule an appointment or connect her to the nurse’s voice mail. Honestly, I was convinced the call was taking place inside my car, nay, inside my head. I hope to never experience what she is. I am sorry about her bladder, truly I am.
Loud doesn’t cover the volume at which this call was conducted. What is louder than loud?  
After she completed the call, she hung up, opened her car door, and stepped out to adjust her pants and possibly her bladder. She stood next to the car, tugging her velour track pants back up to her armpits, making sure to get them wedged in both the front and the back before clambering back into her Fiat, at which point she began yelling at what I presume were her grandchildren in the back seat, all three of them. Whatever they had done to provoke her wasn’t audible over her phone call, but clearly she was upset with them, and we all needed to know about it. Maybe she was just cranky because she needs a bladder tuck. I felt sorry for the lot of them, trapped with a crabby wine head in that clown car. Too bad she didn't have a big glass of what she used to dye her hair.
My request for my fellow car line patrons? Just stick to nose picking or slack jawed naps when waiting behind the wheel. It’s almost more socially appropriate. I don't want to know that much about you people.

No comments: