Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Red Solo Cup

My fourteen year old daughter asked for a hysterectomy for Christmas.

I don’t really blame her. I had to pick her up from school last week because she was so miserable. It was day one of her ragtime, and she was so nauseated and crampy she couldn’t sit in a desk. In fact, her teacher made her go to the nurse’s office because she was dry heaving in class and then almost fainted. The nurse insisted that she go home, as the school has a policy that if a student faints in class, EMS must be called to transport that child to the hospital, and she preferred not to have the headache of the paperwork that goes along with that scenario. Not to mention the part where children shouldn’t be fainting from their periods.
I took the teen home and pumped her full of ibuprofen and hot tea and settled her on an arrangement of heating pads. She remained there until it was time for her harder classes, and I drove her back to school with one of those adhesive heating pads stuck to her belly. Have you ever seen one of those? They look just like a sanitary pad filled with rocks, only without wings. I wonder how many women have stuck them in the crotch of their panties, waiting for cramp relief that doesn’t come.

I don’t know how long it takes to get used to having your period, but I am pretty sure it is until menopause.

The teen definitely hasn’t adjusted, even after a few years of being a woman now. She still won’t use tampons, not because the school convinced her and many of her female peers that she will lose her virginity by shoving a plastic tube filled with a wad of cotton in her cooch, but because the idea of sticking anything in her cooch disturbs her, to which I say, thank you Jesus! She sticks to pads and panty liners, unless faced with the possibility of being at the beach, in which case she closes her eyes and blindly aims for the right hole with something more covertly absorbent.

Knowing her feelings about things happening below the belly button made the conversation we had the other day even odder. She brought up a third option of feminine hygiene, the menstrual cup. A menstrual cup is a little cup that you stick inside your vagina to collect your menstrual flow. Although menstrual cups have been around since the 1930’s, I had not heard of them until Whole Foods came to town. They have a feminine hygiene section just for the granola vegan crowd, complete with what I think are washable and reusable pads and menstrual cups, sold under the brand name Diva Cup. Anyway, I guess a couple of other teens and my teen were talking about Diva cups after having seen them while shopping for overpriced organic snack food with their mamas.
Here’s how it went down:

The teen: Mom, have you ever heard of a Diva cup?
Me: Yes, why have you?
The teen: Some girls were talking about them at school.
Me: Really? Seems an obscure topic of conversation, but whatever.

The teen: Well, have you ever tried one?

Me: No. I am quite comfortable with regular old cardboard tube Tampax. I don’t really see the need to make changes now, after over thirty years. Why?

The teen: I’m curious about them.
Me: Seriously?? You won’t even use a tampon, not even with the plastic applicator, the kind that ruins the planet for the next generation of bleeders. But you’re curious about putting a small cup in your vagina? Please.

The teen, laughing: I know, right? I just can’t imagine putting a cup in there.

Me: Me neither. How long does it stay in there, anyway? Does it start to smell? What if your cup overflows? And then what do you do with it? Run it through the dishwasher? Or is it disposable? I don’t understand how that is any better for the environment. Can you use a Dixie cup in a pinch, because I still have a whole box of those under the bathroom sink if you want to try them out.
The teen: (more laughter)

Me: Do they come in different sizes, or are they a one size fits all kind of product? How do you put it in? And worse, how do you take it out? What if it tips over when you remove it?

She stopped laughing and redirected me, which was a good thing, because I could seriously have kept going for at least another five minutes or so.

About a week later, I kid you not, I met a woman who had actually used menstrual cups. Now, this was one of those situations where a casual acquaintance ends up telling you something extremely personal that you rather not know about them, ever.
A woman I barely know and I made small talk during a volunteer event. We were discussing our daughters, which is what women do who have very little else in common to discuss. She is an older mom with kids a little younger than mine, and we talked about how girls get hormonal and moody when puberty starts. Her daughter had not yet started her period, but since mine is a few years older, she asked me about how I taught her about menstruation. I told her about a class the hospital offers that does a great job making girls feel comfortable with their bodies and such. She thought that sounded great since she wasn’t really sure she knew how to teach them to use tampons.

Then she said, “It’s been years since I had my period, since I am past menopause, but I didn’t use tampons when I did have mine.”

“You didn’t?” I said. “Oh, I remember those giant pads, with the belt you had to pin them on. What a pain!”

“No,” she said, “Although I do remember those too. Like a diaper. No, I used those cups.”

Okay, finally I found someone who has tried the mysterious and lesser known menstrual cups, and it’s an almost complete stranger, but one that I will have to see and talk to again. I don’t want to have to think about her period, let alone her choice of feminine hygiene, but now, every time I see her, it will be the only thing I remember about her.
“I’ve never tried them,” I said, because really, what else could I say? I couldn’t tell her I threw up in my mouth a little. “I don’t know what to tell you about teaching your daughter about tampons. Mine is still uncomfortable with the idea of them.”

“Oh, then she would never like cups, because you have to stick your whole hand in there,” she told me.
No, no, no. I can never, ever, shake this woman’s hand again, and the idea of hugging her is even more off-putting. In fact, I don’t think I can make eye contact with her ever again unless I develop dementia and forget this little nugget about her. And no matter what, I will never join her for a glass of red wine.

No comments: