Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Son of the Twelve Blogs of Christmas


It’s that time of year again, when I treat myself to an extra helping of stress. Some of you are busy fretting over planning the perfect Christmas, or at least a passable Hanukah.  Some of you are just now recovering from your Thanksgiving overindulgence, and some of you are still working your way through Halloween candy.  A few of you might even care about making New Year’s Eve plans. That’s four or five holidays all packed together in just a matter of a few short months. What were those pagans and early Judeo-Christian types thinking??  In my house, we like to sandwich the holidays with birthdays in November and January, just to add to the nonstop party rock in the house. Whee!
I’m no Martha Stewart; in fact, I’ve never built an empire on doing everything better than you and then going to prison. But I do like to outdo myself in some arenas. I take pride in baking. I excel at gift giving. I make my daughters’ birthdays a holiday to celebrate their births, much like Christmas is for Jesus. And I will challenge you to a snowflake cut a thon any day of the week.
I might make it look easy, but truth be told, it’s a lot of work. I have been known to wake up at five in the morning to think about the best place to find junior pajama bottoms in tall sizes. I have a mental list on loop in my head that includes chocolate chips and shirt boxes.  I organize my present receipts by date and cross reference them by recipient. There’s not a lot of rest and relaxation going on.
In addition to trying to do everything, which we all know is impossible yet can’t stop ourselves from trying, I want to write too. Normally, I find time on a monthly basis to knock out about four essays. The holiday season is all about excess, though, so why not aim high?
Thus, I present to you, the reader, the Third Annual Twelve Blogs of Christmas.  Between sometime near the beginning of December and the arbitrary date of Epiphany, like that means anything to me, I will attempt to find twelve blog worthy topics and write about them. Will they all be fascinating? No. Will they all make you laugh? Not necessarily. I can’t promise you entertainment, joy, poignancy, or insight. I’m only promising twelve.
 It’s my gift to you, because I care. And it's free.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

well said. and we, the readers, thank you.