Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No Rodney King Impersonation Necessary

The beauty parlor (ha! I bet you think I get my hair washed and set once a week, don't you?) is one of those places where a woman is free to talk about her friends, her spouse, sex, and any other topic that would normally be off limits in most other settings. When I go to the salon, however, I usually resort to talking about politics and the trials of owning a small business, since my (gasp) straight male hair dresser doesn't seem to enjoy cattiness as much as I would like. With the election coming up, he was more than happy to dive right into an intense discussion of Obama and McCain, complete with his usual wonky opinions and misunderstandings. Don't get me wrong, I normally enjoy our political discourse, even though we typically are on opposing sides of an issue. But this last appointment, he took things too far.

While blowing dry my hair, he found himself running behind, so he asked his young assistant to flat iron the dry sections on the right side of my head while he worked on the left side. I sat in my zebra striped smock wondering how that would feel, hot air blowing on the left, intense dry heat near my ear on the right. My head tends to bobble everywhere when he yanks the round brush through my hair, so I didn't see how I was supposed to remain statue like while they double upped on me. His assistant stepped up and began her chore of flat ironing sections of my hair while trying to stay out of his way and not burn me, and kudos to her for her success.

If that wasn't bad enough, though, he thought tag teaming my head was a good time to begin a political debate with his assistant.
"So who are you going to vote for?" he asked her while ripping my hair out of my scalp.
"I don't know," she replied, quite articulate for a nineteen year old, I thought.
"No, tell me, you have to know who you are voting for," he pushed.
"I guess McCain."
"Why would you vote for him?" He sounded indignant. I don't want an indignant hair dresser. I want a happy one. And by the way, is it even legal for him to ask his employee about who she was voting for? Did I need to report him to the voter's registration office or the ACLU?
"I don't know. I don't like that Obama." How many Obamas does she know?
"That's not a reason to vote for McCain. Do you even know what he stands for?" Now, if they weren't debating politics over my head, I would have found this funny. He has been a staunch Republican since I met him, but he does great color, so I overlook it. But now that he is voting anti-Bush, he cannot fathom why anyone would not agree with him. I do agree with him, but I was more concerned about how his needling her would affect my blow out. She was smart enough to not take the bait, and just shrugged her shoulders. He did not take body language to be any kind of an answer.
"Well, what do you think about Sarah Palin?"
"I kind of like her," she said, running the flat iron along another section of my hair.
"How could you like her? She is kind of against what most women like, isn't she?" I thought about participating at this point, but they were paying so little attention to me as it was, I didn't think it would be smart to distract them further from their tasks. They were supposed to be making me look hot, for which I was paying good money.
"She seems real nice to me. And a Christian." Lucky for me, the assistant had finished all the flat ironing of the dry sections. She stood there watching him continue to blow dry, but got bored and set the flat iron down before walking out of the room. I breathed a tiny sigh of relief.


I survived the political discourse and the hair style. But can our country survive this polarization of politics? Can we survive four more years of governmental snafus and mismanagement? I offer another option, a candidate that is perhaps overlooked by the majority, yet someone we can all get behind. He is old, no doubt, but but clearly has a clear intelligence and fair mindedness that no one can deny. He transcends the Democratic and Republican ideals, and that alone makes him worth a chance. Look for him next week on your ballot, and if not, consider him as a write in....







2 comments:

Lisa said...

Loved the sign! I would have written it in had I read your blog on time like I was supposed to.

A. Bagwell said...

We saw a Jabba the Hutt one too, but I wasn't close enough to see what his political stance was. And one of E's classmates saw a Vader '08, although when I think about it, it was probably Nader.